Friday, December 16, 2011

No Volleyball? On to Plan "B"


Swimming was my plan "B" and has
become my brilliant plan "A".

There’s always another plan.  This past summer I went to volleyball conditioning to keep up my practice for the season.  Tryouts came two weeks before school started, and I gave it all I had.  I wanted to help out my school in the sport I was best at; that’s what kept me shoving forward in conditioning and tryouts.  At the end of the two-days of tryouts is when the team is announced, and we were all anxious.  I didn’t make it.  It was devastating to me that I could not help my team, could not call myself a part of that team anymore.  I couldn’t help it, I cried, before I even left the building.  My dad was there, though.  He gave me a super pep talk before we got in the car, and that got me in higher spirits.  My dad told me, ‘It’s alright.  It really is.  You gave it your best shot.  Now you know you have an opening for joining the swim team.  Didn’t you want to do that?’  In fact, I had planned much earlier to see if I could try out for volleyball, and if I didn’t make it, I’d do swim.  My mom told me the same thing when we got home from eating chocolate ice cream at Sonic.  I was a little sick of getting told that, to be frank, but I really needed to hear it.  I then went to swim practice, did the paperwork, bought a new suit, and was off swimming.  It turns out that was the best decision I’d made in all of my high school life.  I love the team, and swimming for my school is one of my favorite things.

As it turns out, I got exactly what I’d been so pumped up to do in volleyball tryouts:  I got to help my team in the sport I was best at. Through this experience, I found that there is always another plan.  A lot of the time, this plan ‘B’ is better than the original plan.  When the plan doesn’t work out so well, I learned it is important to follow an alternate path, and follow it fully so that it is known what a good idea is for the future as well as the present.

3 comments:

  1. Sonic has chocolate ice cream? What have I been missing?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its good that you were able to turn that bad situation into something good. Instead of being to upset you found a plan b.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're gonna keep swimming right? We need all the people we can get.

    ReplyDelete